For those of you who aren’t Celiac, gluten intolerant or have a wheat allergy, you are probably saying “what is glutened”?
It’s a term that means that we were, essentially, poisoned. We accidently ingested something with gluten and have exited the building. If you are anything like me, it leaves you curled up in a ball with pain like someone has taken your intestines and just yanked on them. A lot. Hard. You can’t stand up straight and it’s PAINFUL.
I hadn’t been glutened, at least to this degree, for a long time but it happened on New Year’s Eve. Yup, way to bring in the new year. Glutened. Anyway, before I went to the party where I was to spend the rest of the evening, I stopped to have a beer with two of my friends: Don and Craig.
Now, I hang out with those two guys a lot. We talk politics, sports and anything else. So, when I walked in, Craig orders himself a Bud Light and me an Angry Orchard. Gotta love friends who know what you drink! The server brings the beer and typically I take a sniff because Angry Orchard has a sweet smell to it. This was the one time I didn’t do that. I was deep in conversation or distracted or something but all I know is that I took a sip. ONE sip. It wasn’t Angry Orchard. It was Bud Light.
Two thoughts ran through my head: 1. Oh crap. 2. How did I used to drink this stuff?
I put the beer down, said “This is NOT Angry Orchard”. Craig got a hold of the server, told her that it wasn’t the drink I ordered and she brought me my correct drink. Don recognized that it was an issue and I was grateful for an opportunity to tell him what happens when I’m glutened. I should have spoken to the server and/or manager but it was so busy and…I missed an opportunity. An opportunity to educate, to help someone realize that it wasn’t just a simple mistake.
I got sick. It was more gradual than it had been in the past. Usually it takes about 15 minutes to an hour and then, BAM!, you won’t see me for a while. This time it took a few hours, I kept getting more and more bloated and ended up going home late that night. I slept all night but the next day I just sat on the couch. I was tired, lethargic and didn’t want to do anything.
I guess the moral of the story is that when things like this happen, when I KNOW that a mistake has been made, to educate. To use the opportunity.
Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook and Twitter as well as Instagram!